Munich

MikeEngland

Parkrocker
I'm flying into Munich airport on Thursday morning, and was wondering what is the best (and cheapest) way to get to the festival from there is?

Also, where is best to buy beer for use for camping?

I would really appreciate the help, thank you!

Mike

DrumZ

SpamZ
Hey Mike

First of all, welcome here, we really appreciate it to see also english speeking guys in our community!

To come to the festival from munich you might either take the train which takes about an hour or you rent a car.
But I assume you take the train, so first of all you have to get to the central train station of Munich, which is one direct line from the airport and takes about an hour I think. Then you take a train from Munich to Nuremberg. From there u take a shuttle to the park and you're done.
The best place to get beer will probably be Munich because i assume that a lot of people will want to buy beer in Nuremberg. But if you have any possibility to buy beer in austria I would recommend you that because its cheaper there and you have to pay no mortgage.
If you dont have the opportunity for that then don't worry about it. Its not that expensive. You can get it in basically any supermarket so you should be fine.

Enjoy your festival,

bernd

WhiZZler

Parkrocker
how many people are you travelling with? the cheapest way to travel from munich airport to the festival would be the "bayern ticket".. it is roundabout 28 euros (cant quite remember) and is valid for 5 people in the whole of bavaria.. if you are by yourself, you can get a "bayern ticket single".. it should be 18 euros or something like that..

what drumz wanted to tell u about the beer.. in general beer is not more expensive in germany, than it is in austria.. there is just a refund of 25 cents per tin.. and you are not allowed to take glass bottles on the campgrounds.. so either you buy tins, those dodgy plastic bottles (there is a refund on them as well..) or those fancy little 5l barrels! but it think being used to the beer prices in the uk, u'll still think u made a bargain, even if u pay the refund without actually returning it :D

Balu

Forums-Opa
Veteran
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Lot of good info from the posters above, here a little checklist from my point of view

How to get to the festival:
- train from airport to Munich mainstation
- train from Munich mainstation to Nürnberg mainstation
- another train (S-Bahn line S2) from Nürnberg to "Frankenstadion"

The beer situation:
- I cant recommend buying all the beer in Munich, you have to carry it all the way!
- get to the festival, put up your tent, go to the next supermarket on thursday (ask locals about where to go)
- expect waiting time in the supermarket, a lot of people do this
- buy little 5 liter tin-kegs
- you are NOT allowed to bring any glass on the festival grounds

G

Gelöschte Mitglieder 9424

yeah, and don't forget to say hello to the bunch of yellow-shirt-wearing people on thursday evening next to the main entrance :)

MikeEngland

Parkrocker
Firstly, thanks to everyone for the really quick and helpful replies!
Its just 2 of us, so will have to get 2 single tickets.
This is my first time at RIP so I'm pretty excited! I found it difficult to get beer at Hurricane festival last year, so I'm putting more research into it this time! i won't be going to Austria unfortunately, but i did enjoy the beer when i went to Nova Rock on 07!!
How far away is this supermarket from campsite?

THANKS!!!!

the_Clarence

nur_albert
Veteran
Website
www.clarence-alcoholics.de.vu
Its just 2 of us, so will have to get 2 single tickets.

Then the Bayernticket is cheaper for you.
single Ticket 20Euro
Bayernticket 28Euro

one day, for complete Bavaria, but not for ICE and IC.
Take the S-bahn from airport to Munich.
you have to take the RE (regional-express) from Munich central Station to Nürnberg.

McGuinness

gepflegt pessimistisches Kaninchen
Veteran
How far away is this supermarket from campsite?
THANKS!!!!

There are several supermarkets withing walking disctance of the campsite iirc. Depending on how much beer you need, a skateboard or anything of that kind might come in handy for transportation. However, carrying large amounts of beer in your bare hands ist mighty manly.

MikeEngland

Parkrocker
Carrying beer does look awesome, im sure the German girls with love it ;)

Hope its as easy to get to as you guys make it sound!!
Anyone know when the timetable is announced?

Thanks again....

McGuinness

gepflegt pessimistisches Kaninchen
Veteran
The timetable should be available some weeks before Rock im Park. My guess would be sometime around May 15th.
And don't worry too much about getting your beer. After all, it's a festival, some things might just not work as planned. You'll get drunk enough eventually.

Maria.A

Parkrocker
Hi!

Is it also as easy to get to RIP from stuttgart as from munich?
We are coming from Finland at it will be our first time..
Do you know if you can buy that group ticket (to train)
from stuttgart also? I didn´t find any infos about that.

Have been in hungary (sziget) and denmark (roskilde) before
and this year decided to try something new! :)

I know it will be great! Hope the weather is ok, in Finland
it´s really cold to camp that time of year (yet, still we do it..)

and sorry my bad english.

onkelandy

Parkrocker
Then you have to buy the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket AND the Bayern-Ticket!
It costs 29€ each but it´s for 5 persons!
Or travel with the ICE, i think there´s a special with 29€ across Germany but I´m not sure!

But here a lot of people who know about it!

And sorry for my bad english too, I haven´t drink yet, then it´s better :D

G

Gelöschte Mitglieder 9424

forget that special across germany thing, you would have to order that some weeks before, i guess.
as onkelandy said: in stuttgart your group needs to buy the baden-württemberg-ticket and as soon as your train is in bavaria, you have to get the bayernticket. then everything should be fine.
enjoy your trip and, if possible, you can say hello and have a drink with us at our meeting: Parkrocker.net

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:

icedearth

The American Dream
Hi!

Is it also as easy to get to RIP from stuttgart as from munich?
We are coming from Finland at it will be our first time..
Do you know if you can buy that group ticket (to train)
from stuttgart also? I didn´t find any infos about that.

Have been in hungary (sziget) and denmark (roskilde) before
and this year decided to try something new! :)

I know it will be great! Hope the weather is ok, in Finland
it´s really cold to camp that time of year (yet, still we do it..)

and sorry my bad english.

Your english is fine!

I would just rent a car. It is very quick to get from Stuttgart to Nurnberg. I drive it every other weekend. It is only a little over 150km and takes only a little over an hour to an hour and half to drive.

Maria.A

Parkrocker
yeah!

I think we will find there. we will stay one night in stuttgart or in nuremberg and arrive to the festival at thursday morning. maybe.. still don´t know about the travelplan. guess we just wander around and figure everything out when there.:roll:

guess we should bring rubber boots just in case?

and my old tent is so worn out that i´m going to buy new one from germany somewhere. any suggestions where they sell cheap tents?

Maria.A

Parkrocker
and i think the train is more safe to us becouse we start drinking first thing in the airport (in finland of course..)