Munich

Helmet In The Bush

Parkrocker
Hi,

Just like to say cheers for the help here. 4, possibly 5 of us are coming from Ireland to RiP. Flying to Munich on Monday 1st June then staying there for a few night before heading to the festival on the Thursday morning. I went to RaR last year and had 6 of the best day of my life, you Germans really know how to run a good festival and party 8)

That Bayern ticket looks very useful, so with 4 of us going it just costs €7 each way which is fantastic. It seemed a bit too good to be true (couldnt fully understand the explanation of the Bayern ticket on the Bahn website) but after checking here its actually real.

Also shame about the no glass bottles thing, we discovered a lovely beer last year called Bitburger at RaR which came in big 500ml bottles and I was hoping to have it again :| and then the only other problem I have is that I wont be able to see the Bulgaria v Ireland World Cup qualifying match!

Unfortunately one of our group doesnt think he can go to the festival so I have a spare ticket that Im desperately trying to sell :|

One question - about the layout of the arena (Main Stage and 2nd Stage). At RaR last year, the only problem I had was the pit areas, you had to go early in the day to get up front for the night bands, is RiP the same? Or is it easy to get near the front at a later time?

Thanks again for all the help, roll on Rock im Park :smt023

McGuinness

gepflegt pessimistisches Kaninchen
Veteran
Welcome to our forum, I really hope you will enjoy the trip to Rock im Park as much as ou enjoyed Rock am Ring.
Regarding glass bottles: You have to keep in mind that the area where the Rock im Park Festival is held us used as a public park for the rest of the year. Broken glass is just not the thing you need lying around. Cleaning up the mess some 10.000 people leave behind after 4-5 days of drinking and partying is expensive enough without picking up bits of broken glass. You'll find some fine beer in cans and after all it's festival, not a all-inclusive holiday ;)
At Rock im Park they do have a similar layout regarding the stages. You will definitely find pits in front of both stages (Main Stage and Alterna Stage), but from what I've heard (I've never been to RaR myself) you cannot really compare the situation. Rock im Park is just not as big as Rock am Ring so you might get into the pits in the late afternoon if you're patient and a bit lucky. I used to get in front of the stage just before the headlining acts began performing (but then again these were Tool and Smashing Pumpkins :mrgreen:) but this depends on the popularity of the artists.

Balu

Forums-Opa
Veteran
Aaah.. the small and fine differences between Rock am Ring and Rock im Park. A topic which has been discussed in great length on the forums. The two venues do indeed have a slightly different style.

Changing stages and getting in front is much much easier at Rock im Park

Camping areas are also nearer to the festival grounds

Since the area is within the city of nuremberg there are more restrictions in place than at
Rock am Ring. No glass, bands start and end earlier, no generators allowed on camping ground etc.

The camping area is indeed more park like and not open fields, it is also a bit more crowded for camping than at rock am ring.

You also have the infrastructure of Nürnberg in the vicinity, stores, supermarkets, hotels, etc, etc. All that can make your life a bit more convenient.

The area in front of the stages is much wider than at rock am ring. This results in easier access, but also in a less crowded feeling which can result in a more intense openair feeling at rock am ring. The more narrow situation at ring also helps with building a crowd in front of stage for earlier bands during the day, but for the headliners it also means you have to go to front very soon or have to see the band from a large distance. So the different layout has its pros and cons.

Total attendance is higher at rock am ring than at rock im park.

icedearth

The American Dream
Interesting comparisons between RAR and RIP. Me and my friends were thinking about trying RAR this year, just so that we can have a comparison. In the end we decided RIP based off of tradition.

I think am happier at RIP than I would be at RAR.

MikeEngland

Parkrocker
How long roughly does it take to get between stages would you say??
And are they all open air or in tents??

Thanks

G

Gelöschte Mitglieder 9424

center and alterna are true open air stages, club stage is placed in a event hall (where usually ice hockey games take place).

the time which you need to switch stages is influenced by your mental condition :) and it depends on how crowded the stage area is and on whether you are standing first row or more in the back. usually you need around 10 minutes.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:

icedearth

The American Dream
How long roughly does it take to get between stages would you say??
And are they all open air or in tents??

Thanks

All the stages are very close. You can walk to each one in only a few minutes from the other.

The Center and Alterna stage are both open air and the Club Stage is indoors in the Arena.

Edit: Foxie hat schon geantwortet...;)

Helmet In The Bush

Parkrocker
Just wondering, when the bands were finished playing at Rock am ring last year, there was a club tent with a bar in it, is there one at Rock im Park. Are there many places to go or things to do apart from go back to the campsite after the bands?