Please help this Japanese going to Rock im Park

nozaking

Parkrocker
Hi! I don't speak German and my English is even ok, i'll be glad if you take a time to read the following question...

I'm thinking to go to Rock im Park this year (if I still could get a 3-day ticket). First of all, I need to persuade my parents to let me. The biggest concern for us is safety. Are people there behave well, like no drugs, rape, pickpockets or so?

I'm from Japan, I am 18-year-old girl and I'm going by myself.
I do not drink due to my prescription and I'm thinking to stay at a hotel in Nurmberg.
I've been to Summer Sonic (rock music festival with same kind of musicians, but less world-class artists) twice, and Loud Park (indoor heavy metal festival.)
I found them safe enough for me to go by myself. I didn't camp or stay at a hotel because I went these festival only a day and they were close enough to go home by train.
I've been to a few foreign countries but never been to Germany. I have some German friends and I thought all of them are very nice and calm. So I think people in Ring or Park fes are not crazy.

Do you think going to Rock im Park by myself, 18 female college student is safe enough?

If you've ever been to other rock festivals, please tell me which you felt safer. If you've been or you're going to Rock im Park or Rock am Ring by yourself when you are teenager, please tell me about your experience. If you're someone's mom or dad, I'd like to know how you feel if your children were in my age and wish to go to Park or Ring Fes.

Any opinion or response is very very welcome.

Thank you!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Balu

Forums-Opa
Veteran
There are a lot of young people there, age of 16 and up. I have never heared of any rape or something like that, there are way too many people around for something like that to happen in my opinion.

Drugs, well alcohol is a drug, you will meet some people who are drunk and might not behave very well. There is a also a risk regarding pickpockets, but this goes for all places with thousands of people. You should take the same precautions like everywhere.

Over all I can say Rock im Park is a normal festival, dont expect very clean camping grounds and dont expect calmness and low noise. But Rock im Park is as safe or unsafe as other festivals.

Reaktionen: nozaking

Guadalajarena

Parkrocker
Hey, welcome to the forum.

As fare as your personal safety is concerned, I don't think you (or your parents) really have to worry. Rape is not something, that regularly comes up at festivals.

Drugs and pickpockets however are more common. There've been several cases of people whose tents were robbed while they were at the stages, so there's no guarantee. But, do the maths. There are tens of thousands of tents, chances of yours being one of the few are pretty low.

If I were you, I'd choose another festival. Check out the Southside/Hurricane, or one of the many smaller ones that match your taste in music. Rock im Park has become less relaxed and more stressful in regard to people who think lightning mobile toilets on fire is fun, and who are just plainly ruthless.

This might sound more alarming than it acutally is: You can have a great time there, but you should be aware of some things.

But, seriously? Going to Germany by yourself just to see a festival? I'd know better places to visit if you're flying over to Europe.

nozaking

Parkrocker
To Balu.
I heard Japan is one of the most safe country so I thought festivals in Japan is safer than festivals in overseas. but, as far as I read your message, I think safety in Rock im Park is pretty much the same as festivals here.
Thank you so much for quick and clear reply!

To Guadalajarena.
hurricane festival seems awesome too, but Rock im Park matches my taste of music very much.. How I wished the same bands were coming to Japan!! I'm dumb enough to cut school to go to a concert haha so I can spend only 5 days or so for the trip. No time to enjoy potatoes or beautiful cities..

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Linda

Parkrocker
I'm 16 and I will go there the first time this year, with two 18 year olds. Can't you go with a friend or so?
My parents are a bit worried about the fact, that I will go to Rock im Park but I go there with friends, so its okay. :)

KingPin

Ich will Dyers eve!!
Veteran
my major advice would be: go there with a small group of friends atleast.
going to a festival on the opposite side of the planet just alone by yourself might feel a bit odd, dont you think?
sure, you are gonna make friends there, but you may wanna have someone to back you up just in case, so you wont get completely lost.

i would indeed not trust the idea of my daughter (no matter of what age) going to a rock festival all alone just with a tent..

rebeccatwloha!

Staubsauger
I'm 17 and it will be the second time i will go on Rock im Park. I'll go there with good friends of mine and its not far away from my hometown. But crossing the half planet, alone, just to go to a festival...i wouldn't do it.

What happens when you have an accident? You're alone and you don't speak german. Your family is miles away!

I wouldn't cross the planet (alone, without any friends or someone) just to see some bands.

gfc

Schönwetter Camping-Prophet
Administrator
Website
www.parkrocker.net
To Balu.
I heard Japan is one of the most safe country so I thought festivals in Japan is safer than festivals in overseas. but, as far as I read your message, I think safety in Rock im Park is pretty much the same as festivals here.
Thank you so much for quick and clear reply!

Japan and Germany are both very safe countries. But a Festival has its own rules. There is no rape or murder for sure, but pickpockets are quite common. But no need to worry, if you're staying in a hotel and have all your zippers closed and leave the unneeded belongings in the hotel, everything will be fine. I've been at almost 30 Festivals and hundreds of concerts and I've never lost anything..

So there is no reason to stay at home just because of some thiefs. But one other concern remains: Don't go alone to a festival. In case of any accidents you're more than happy to have a friend with you.